On the second floor in adjacent east and west rooms are diverse collections of Native American Indian artifacts. The lives of American Indian men, women, and children are represented. These displays focus on the Plains Tribes of North America, but also include a unique collection of Southwest and Northwest Coastal Tribes as well as a broad photo collection. There are over 1,200 artifacts in the collection; seventy percent of them are on display, representing over 40 different tribal affiliations.
The exhibit displays artifacts representing the patriarchal societies of several of the local Native American tribes, including but not limited to the Kaw, Pawnee, Osage, Nez Perce and Ponca. Items include ceremonial clothing and moccasins, tobacco bags, beadwork, toys, and musical instruments and pipes. A special Ponca Indian exhibit highlights the local tribe for which the city was named.
The basement area of the home now houses exhibits representing the 101 Ranch and Wild West Show of the early 1900s and an archeological excavation funded by E.W. Marland in 1926. These exhibits include artifacts used on the ranch and in the Wild West Show by the performers and cowboys. The archeological display includes tools and other items used by the 1700s Wichita Tribe of Northern Oklahoma and stories about the lost Native American community of "Ferdinandina".
The exhibit displays a vast assortment of items from the 101 Ranch, a diversified early 1900s ranch and city unto itself of over 100,000 acres. The local ranch was home to the filming of the first talking Western movies, numerous crops and livestock and many colorful cowboy, Indian and other cultural characters. Many celebrities visited or worked on the ranch including Will Rogers, Geronimo, Bulldogger Bill Pickett, Tom Mix, Buck Hones, Hoot Gibson, and several government officials.
The exhibit showcases items from the traveling Wild West Show which was half circus and half rodeo. The show included elephants, bears, horses, cattle, buffalo, Indians, Russian Cossacks, cowboys, cowgirls, gunfights, roundups and more! The show toured the world even performing for the Queen of England while in Europe before the U.S. government confiscated all the show horse stock to aid in the WWI effort.
The exhibit includes items from an archeological excavation funded by E.W. Marland in 1926 of a Wichita Encampment just north of Ponca City along the Arkansas River. The site was an area where meat was processed by the Wichita Indians. French fur traders and trappers came up the Mississippi River to the Arkansas River stopping to trade here for furs and meat. The items include tools, arrowheads and other miscellaneous artifact representing the people.
Several of the second floor rooms represent the Marland Family and the oil business and lifestyle of the roaring 1920s in Ponca City. Here you will find information and items which represent the Polo and Fox Hunting cultures of the community, the Marland Oil Company, and some of the family's more personal living spaces and related items. Rooms include painted murals, cedar lined closets and period furnishings.
The exhibit refers to information on the 1920s Marland Hunting Camp in the Bar L pasture along the Arkansas River south of Ponca City. This camp was a favorite of the oil men of the day. The exhibit also includes items used in fox hunting and polo, two sports established in Ponca City in the 1920s by Englishman, E.W. Marland. Fox hounds, the red fox, fox hunting mounts, polo ponies, polo equipment and a Master of the Hounds were all brought to Ponca City by Marland to encourage the participants.
The exhibit represents a replica of an office at Marland Oil in 1920. Some original items are displayed along with others which represent the era. E.W. Marland's original chair and telephone are found here. Marland Oil came to employee over 60% of the community's population and housed 10% of all the world's oil in reserve above ground in the 1920s. E.W. Marland became a millionaire almost over night in 1911 after striking the big gusher, the Will Cries for War well #9, which laid the ground work for many other oil fields to come.
Mary Virginia Marland was a member of the local Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) as was Ponca City resident, Louise Fluke, designer of the Oklahoma flag. Colonial artifacts, valued DAR objects and other items representing the patriotic organization are on display in the home's former attached garage space. A plaza representing the flag of Oklahoma can also be found on the exterior mansion grounds below the terrace on the east side of the home.